Australian Bureau of Meteorology
December 2015 – October 2016
Area of expertise
Change and Transformation
Developing strategy to help the organisation embrace the Agile way of working. Creating and implementing Agile coaching programs for both teams and senior management.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) engaged MH Solutions to help change the way the organisation worked. BoM wanted to adopt an Agile approach, update their technology stack and deliver more value to their user.
The goal was to build organisational capability in agile and user-centred ways of working, and deliver a major product to the market that met users’ needs while ensuring compliance with the Digital Service Standard.
We started by conducting an assessment of processes, tools and culture at all levels of the organisation. We carried out one-on-one research sessions with people from a wide range of disciplines to analyse skills, technology, development process and funding process.
Our findings identified where each stakeholder sat on the innovation curve and informed the building of the cross-functional team, Agile coaching sessions and the change of development cycle. We presented insights and recommendations as a roadmap with a step-by-step timeline and received endorsement by the organisation’s senior executives.
Our Enterprise Agile Coach planned, designed and delivered the coaching sessions. Our coach held both private and group sessions with the teams, management and executives, and established relationships. Our coach held regular check-in sessions to identify challenges e.g. resistance to change, adjusting approach and reiterate to drive positive outcomes.
By creating cross-functional teams and setting the agile delivery environment, we focused on creating the high performing team, improving speed and deliverability, and filling the skills gap quicker. This enabled the organisation to increase end-user engagement, gather and analyse user data and prioritise feature implementation based on user feedback.
Outcomes and Benefits
- BoM Weather app has more than one million installations on Google Play, with an average rating of more than 4 stars
- The app was released in beta just before the elections. Releasing in beta was a major cultural change for BoM and showed that we successfully helped BoM change the way they work
- BoM now prioritises development roadmap based on user feedback and the customer value placed on those features
- We cut delivery and production time from 18 months to 6 weeks. This freed up funding for other projects, which had a positive flow-on effect on the organisation
- We coached business product owners on Agile ways of working and have helped them to own decisions, reducing decision making loop from one week (up to five approvals) to 24 hours (one approval)
- The success of our approach has sparked interest from other areas at BoM and encouraged them to start their own Agile teams and projects